- A nice user interface for both the admin and the site visitors or customers.
- Powerful dashboard and backend to control the various functions across the website, order, products, and other options like payment, etc.
- Simple configuration setup to set themes and configure other global variables used across the whole website; these configuration controls are used to manage storage, hosted servers, devices, and networks.
Here are some essential features that should be present in an ecommerce platform:
- Powerful content management tools to make your site look wonderful
- Easy customization and extension
- Smooth checkout flow and a nice user interface
- Large community to help you when you got stuck
- Inbuilt blog section
- Last but not least, the security of the platform
First of all, Magento is open-source, which means it can be downloaded for free and used free of charge(community version), unlike other platforms which are SaaS-based like Salesforce, Shopify. These platforms charge as per the service used, while Magento doesn’t since it is an on-premise hosted software. Another thing to note is that it requires technical expertise to set it up running and manage though it is a powerful platform. You can also choose the Enterprise version, which offers some extra features over the community version, at some price. There is also a Magento hosted version known as Magento GO which is hosted on the Magento servers.
Comparing the market share of e-commerce platforms, Magento alone has 2.5+ million stores that are built using the Magento platform, while the other ecommerce platforms have 2.8+ million stores. This shows the popularity of Magento.
When we compare Magento with other e-commerce platforms, please keep in mind that we are talking about the Magento enterprise version or Magento Go since the community version has some limitations. Since every business has its own specific needs, choosing the right e-commerce platform depends on your business-specific needs. There are a lot of e-commerce platforms; in this article, we will tell you about the features and benefits of Magento against other platforms to help you decide.
Magento Vs Virtuemart(Joomla)
Magento and Joomla(VirtueMart) both are open source ecommerce platforms mostly used for shopping, health, education, automobile, entertainment, etc. The key differences between these two are:
- Joomla is proven to be a powerful CMS suite for different kinds of industries like education, automobile, etc. it has a wide variety of extensions available and is really easy to set up. At the same time, Magento is powerful specifically for ecommerce based applications and offers freedom to set up the website.
- The community of Magento is very big compared to Joomla; the community provides technical support and clears doubts about the usage of the product.
- Well, both of these solutions are powerful in terms of SEO. Both provide a number of tools to improve SEO for the site. Joomla is a bit cheaper than Magento.
- Joomla’s VirtueMart is not as powerful in Managing product catalogs; it is a bit complex in managing product catalogs, while Magento is really good at it.
Magento Vs. Shopify
- Magento Open Source offers some features without any cost; on the other hand, Shopify charges you depending on the solution you choose. Since Magento is an on-premise software, you have to take care of the hosting charges; you can also go for Magento hosted Magento GO solution in which Magento hosts your website on its servers.
- One advantage of Shopify Platform is that it is easy to set up while Magento comes with some technical difficulties; for Magento, you will need some extra technical knowledge(don’t worry, it’s a big community and well-written documentation to assist you in setting up).
- In Magento, you are free to choose between a wide variety of customization frameworks, while Shopify comes with some limitations in customization.
- Both of these Magento And Shopify are popular platforms and offer a wide variety of options for your ecommerce website.
Magento Vs. WooCommerce
Woocommerce is an open-source platform built using php, just like Magento. The community support for both of these platforms is considered nice. Also, just like Magento it Woocommerce has a wide variety of extensions available.
- Woocommerce is generally recommended for small and not so complex online stores, while Magento is compatible for both large and small online shops, capable of handling complex product data and large catalogs.
- Magento is available in both enterprise and community versions; Woocommerce does not have a specialized enterprise edition.
- While Woocommerce is quite simple in handling as compared to Magento, it lacks the capability of handling big catalogs, absence of features like modern payment options, promotional features which are offered by Magento, while being a little bit complex in handling or say requires some technical expertise.
- Magento is specifically built for ecommerce with a powerful content management system(Page Builder).
Woocommerce Platform is a good choice for blog/content-focused websites as it comes with WordPress CMS.
These points clearly make Magento a better choice than Woocommerce if you are going for an ecommerce website.
Also Read For Better Understand: MAGENTO VS. SHOPIFY VS. WOOCOMMERCE
Magento Vs. Drupal
Drupal is specifically a content management system, while Magento is a fully managed ecommerce solution. Both are really good at content development.
- Just like Magento has community and enterprise editions, Drupal has open-source(Ubercart) and Commerce editions.
- The Ubercart is used for content creation, and the Commerce edition is used to add the ecommerce functionalities to your Drupal website. At the same time, Magento itself is a complete ecommerce solution.
- Drupal is considered an ideal solution for content-based websites, while Magento is really good at managing bit catalogs.
Magento Vs Prestashop
Prestashop is another open-source solution like Woocommerce and Virtuemart. It offers customization of the framework to meet your website-specific needs.
- Prestashop’s community is very small compared to Magento, which means there will be less exploration of the platform and fewer people to help you out.
- If your business is small, Prestashop could be a better choice; if you don’t have a large product catalog and the complexity of your data is low, then PrestaShop is a better choice, while Magento stands tall when you have a large product catalog and complex product data while at the stake of the requirement of technical expertise.
Magento Vs. BigCommerce
Bigcommerce is a paid solution; it does not have a community edition to try it out and explore the functionality of the platform, while Magento has a community edition. You can choose to extend it with the Enterprise edition. In Magento on-premise edition, you have to pay yearly for the software, while in Bigcommerce, you are charged either monthly or yearly depending upon your chosen license edition.
- Big Commerce is easy to set up and launch, while Magento requires some technical expertise to set up and configure.
- Both of these platforms have a wide variety of features available to customize your site. When it comes to framework customization, Magento is open to let you choose between different frameworks, while Bigcommerce has some limitations over framework customization. So Magento is a champion in framework customization.
- Bigcommerce is better than Magento when it comes to social media promotion.
I hope this article helps you to choose the right choice for your business, and there is nothing like the best choice for all the businesses; these platforms are suitable for businesses if they come under their domain; Magento is a very popular platform you can definitely try it out.